UST Law Alumni Foundation, Inc.
Atty. Maria Elena “Ellen” Go Francisco
President, UST Law Alumni Foundation, Inc.
– Practicing Lawyer in the fields of litigation, corporate and civil law matters
– Accredited Arbitrator on Commercial Disputes in the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center
– Took the Workshop and passed the examination on Arbitration given by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Hongkong Branch
– President, Integrated Bar of the Philippines, Manila II Chapter
– Representative, House of Delegates, Integrated Bar of the Philippines
– President, UST Law Alumni Foundation, Inc. – President, Women in Infrastructure Foundation, Inc.
– Trustee, UST Alumni Association, Inc.
– Legal Counsel and Corporate Secretary of some stock and non-stock corporations
– Graduated, Bachelor of Arts major in Political Science, UST Faculty of Arts and Letters
– Graduated, Bachelor of Laws, UST Faculty of Civil Law
History of the UST Law Alumni Foundation Inc.
The UST Law Alumni Foundation, Inc. was established on July 20, 1984 by fifteen concerned alumni and alumnae of the Faculty of Civil Law. The foundation took over from the former UST Law Alumni Association, Inc. which was created in February of the same year by amending certain articles and transforming it from an ordinary association into what it is today, a foundation led by a duly elected Board of Trustees and Officers chosen every three years.
Credit should be given to the original incorporators of the association for establishing the alumni association of the oldest law school in the country. They were Marcelo C. Millo, Felix O. Ledero, Jr., Edward Castaneda, Dante A. Diaz, Manuel M. Iway, Fresnido Fe, Vicente C. Angeles and Crisologo V. Bayani, Jr.
The fifteen original trustees of the foundation were Ma. Ellen Aguilar, Augusto Aligada, Amelito Altuna, Crisologo Bayani, Jr., Alfredo Benipayo, Philip Aguinaldo, Genardo Cabuchan, Zenaida Elepano, Myrna Cruz-Feliciano, Higinio Francisco, Ricardo Galang, Raul Gonzales, Roberto Neri, Efren Zarte and Mecedes C. Teodoro.
Under the amended articles, the foundation was established primarily to foster closer relations between the alumni and the administration, faculty and students, and to bring together the alumni in undertakings intended to promote fraternity, camaraderie and development of their personal well-being. The foundation also aims to promote, organize and conduct projects and programs for a more effective exchange of information among alumni, among which is the sponsorship of scholarships for poor but deserving law students of the faculty.
The first president of the foundation was Alfredo Benipayo (former dean of the Faculty). He was succeeded by Salvador Lao who served as President from 1991 to 1996. The late Ramon Mabanta became president from 1997-1999. Former Sen. Victor Ziga was elected president from 2000-2002. Lawyer and Muntinlupa Councilor Raul R. Corro was elected from 2003-2005. Justice Oscar Herrera, Jr. was elected as president in 2006 and 2016. Atty. Edward “Jack” Castaneda, former commissioner of the Energy Regulatory Board, now Energy Regulatory Commission took over as President up to 2020. The current President is now Atty. Ma. Elena Go Francisco.
One major activity of the foundation is the holding of the annual foundation day commemoration and yearly reunion and homecoming which is held every last Saturday of November or first Saturday of December.